Gastroenteritis is also called as infectious diarrhoea. This disease caused by inflammation of small intestines and infection of digestive. It is also known as ‘Stomach flu’
Its symptoms include diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever. Sometimes dehydration and lack of energy can also happen.
Generally, the children are most affected by stomach flu infections but, in many cases, this condition gets better within 10 days.
In this article, we have described the symptoms, treatments and some important points of the stomach flu, which can be useful to you.
1. Symptoms of stomach flu
Symptoms start in 1 or 2 days after contact with infections. Here some sign of gastroenteritis.
4. Stomach cramps
5. Abdominal pain
6. Lack of energy
7. Muscle pain
8. Bloody stools
2. Causes of stomach flu
There are many factors behind the causes of stomach flu, which is following under.
The primary factor behind the cause of gastroenteritis is virus and norovirus and rotavirus is very common.
Also, there are 3 more viruses like astrovirus, calicivirus and adenovirus, which causes stomach flu.
Salmonella, campylobacter and E. Coli, shigella are 4 bacteria behind causes of gastroenteritis. There are campylobacter is the most common bacteria.
3. Parasites and fungus:
Entamoeba histolytica, cryptosporidium and giardia lamblia are 3 types of parasites causes behind stomach flu.
Parasites and fungus are less effective than viruses and bacteria.
4. Some more reasons:
• Eating a lot of acidic foods and heavy metals in drinking water.
• certain medication such as antibiotics, antacids and laxatives.
3. Which people at risk gastroenteritis:
1. Infections in children are spreading faster due to lack of immunity.
2. Elder people, who have a lack of immune system.
3. Stomach flu spreads among people living in places where water is not easily available.
4. Usually, the stomach flu spreads into the travellers.
Gastroenteritis is diagnosed on the basis of the symptoms of a person. They are properly treated by seeing the number of viruses in the body of people. There are some diagnosis methods like:
• medical history
• physical check-up
• blood and stool test
5. Treatment for stomach flu
Many people do not need to help of any medical treatment because they stay hydrated and we describe here some important note about it:
1. Drink lots of fluids
fluids are the best source for stay hydrated. When you are losing body fluids through vomiting and diarrhoea then fluids are the best source for stay hydrated.
Fluids like water, soups, sports drink or juices are good but avoid taking caffeine like coffee, black tea, chocolate, and alcohol are not good.
2. Plenty of rest
Rest is very important when you have stomach flu. When you are at rest, your body can make a fight against infection. So, you need to give plenty of rest to your body for faster recovery.
3. Eating a healthy diet
Diet is a very good source for the fight against gastroenteritis but all foods are not easy to digest. So, you need to take some healthy diet which can help you for better digest and feed your hunger.
Some foods like rice, toast and banana are a good source in stomach flu. Also, you need to avoid dairy products and spices.
4. Many other factors
• Many people body can’t fight against stomach flu themselves, so they need to visit the hospital.
• Avoid anti-vomiting and anti-diarrhoea drugs.
• Take drugs to kill parasites and fungus.
6. Preventing the gastroenteritis
Stomach flu is a type of infection that spreads quickly. So, here some best way to preventing the gastroenteritis.
• Wash your hand with soap and water after going toilet, smoking after playing with animals.
• Wash your hand with soap and water before and after cooking food or eating.
• Keep your kitchen and house clean
• Always eat healthy and fresh food and avoid taking a high amount of junk foods.
• Use the dishwasher for washing dishes.
• Keep your toilet and bathroom always clean.
• When you are on travelling than always drinking water a lot and if possible then use only bottle water.
Stomach flu is a contagious disease that spreads quickly. Gastroenteritis occurs in people who have a low immune system. Generally, children are hunted by stomach flu. Drinking a lot of water and fluids can prevent gastroenteritis.