Many people are looking for muscular body and for that purpose, they are join a gym. It is a good point to looking handsome or beautiful. But many people are do exercise only for the front side. They do not work out their backside, while back exercise for men and women is very important.
If you want that your body looks in good shape then back workout can help you because it gives you V-shape in your back, which is good in look as well as increasing your body strength. It helps you for lifting heavyweight during any exercises.
Many people are choose the wrong combination of back exercise and it is a big mistake. So, when you start the back workout, you need to take care that you are do a variety of exercise as well as targeting all of your back muscles like the latissimus dorsi, the trap and the rhomboids.
So, the back workout is important as much as a front workout. You should work hard for your back and give time to build it. The upper and middle body muscles help your shoulder joints for stabilizing.
The back workout is not just effective for back muscles but it is also effective for your arms and chest muscles because there are many exercises are available which affect your arms and chest part.
So, you need to do back exercises for good look body and for that, here we describe some best back exercise for men. Women can also do these back exercises.
Best back exercise for men
1. Wide-grip pull-ups
Pull-ups have many types, which include wide-grip pull up. This exercise is the effect on upper back muscles, which called the latissimus dorsi. Wide-grip pulls up can useful in other exercises like, upper body workouts, pull workouts or full-body workout.
How to start:
- Grab the pull bar at a distance greater than the width of the shoulder with your palms.
- Now take a deep breath, relax your body muscles and straighten your elbows toward the floor during activating of the lats.
- Now pull your body towards the pull bar and Pull your body upwards until your torso goes up to the bar.
- Stay in that position for 1 to 2 seconds.
- After, come back into your starting position slowly. Do these steps as per your sets.
Do 3 sets. Each set includes 15 reps. Also, you can do sets as 15, 12 and 10.
- If you are beginner then use pull up machine for pull-ups. Not do wrong sets.
- If pull bar is high, then keep your leg straight and if pull bar is not high enough then Keep your leg bend from the knee.
- When you are going down during exercise, than make sure that your elbows are fully straight or not. If not, then straighten it out.
Types of pull-ups or types of gripping pull bar during pull-ups:
The classic pull-ups: Grip the pull bar at shoulder width and keep your palms opposite the face.
The classic chin-ups: Here, Hold your palm as a toward your face. Other steps are the same as a classic pull-up.
Mixed grip pull-ups: In this pull-ups, your one hand facing you inward and other hand facing outward.
The hammer grip pull-ups: While you grip the pull bar, at that time, Your both palms facing each other.
2. Wide grip lat pulldown:
This is the best and important exercises for building back muscle as well as to give your body the good shape. Lat pulldown is an exercise for increase upper body strength. It targets the out lats.
With the adding of this exercise in your back workout day, you get definitely a very good result. Almost all bodybuilder use this exercise for building muscular and V-shape back side. So, this is best back exercise for men and women.
Start this exercise:
- Sit down on the bench of pull-down machine with the gripping of pull bar, who joined with the machine. Make sure that back must be straight. Now make your hands wider than the width of the shoulder. This is your starting position.
- Now, pull the bar down until it is not touching to your chest. Hold 1 to 2 seconds on this position. (Tip: Your head and glance should be upward).
- Now, come back into your starting position. (Tip: do this step slowly for better results). Repeat these steps as per your sets.
Use 4 sets during your back workout day. Each sets including 15 reps or 15, 12, 10 and 8 reps.
- When you pull down the bar, at that time use your elbow, not use your biceps.
- Do not bend your back during exercise.
- Fully straight your hands, when you are returning in your starting position.
- Set weight in the machine as per your capacity. Not use overweight, which is hard to lifting for you.
- During the exercise, stretch your back instead of the shoulder.
Two more types:
- Behind the neck lat pulldown: Instead of the chest, pull-down bar behind the neck. Other steps are the same as a wide grip lat pulldown.
- Reverse close grip lat pulldown: In this exercise, your hands are closer than the width of shoulder and palms are facing toward you.
3. Seated cable row:
This is an excellent exercise for building the middle back. It is also do an effect on forearms. This exercise emphasizes the muscles like the trap, the erector spinae, rear deltoids, latissimus dorsi, biceps and forearms.
For starting this exercise, you must have a cable machine. If you have no cable machine in your home then going into the gym. Here we explain how you do this workout perfectly.
- Firstly, set the weight as per your strength into the cable machine. Now take the V-shape bar and attach it to the cable of the machine.
- Now, sit down on the bench of the cable machine with the grab of the v-shape bar. You need to set your feet on the pad of machine and make sure that your knees are slightly bent. This is your starting position.
- Straighten your back and push your shoulder together. After bend your elbows and pull the cable towards your chest. Stay in this position for a few seconds, like, 1 to 2.
- Now, extend your hands into the starting position. Do this work slowly and repeat these steps.
Do 3 sets of this exercise and per sets, you can do 15 to 20 reps.
- Do not bend your back during exercise. It can cause back injuries.
- You need to stable your torso during a workout.
- When you coming on starting position, then release your hands slowly. Do not return fast.
- Use weight as per your strength.
4. Inverted raw:
Inverted raw is the best exercise for Beginners. Also, all people can do this exercise. Normally, it is helpful to you for doing your pull-ups. This workout is build your back muscular without lifting any weight. This is another best back exercise for men. Also, best back exercise for women because women are less stronger then men. So, this exercise will help them.
This is a very simple exercise and for working with this exercise, you do not need any heavy equipment. It will give you good body strength. Here, we start the explanation, that how you can add this exercise into your routine.
How to start:
- Take a bar and set it at the height of the waist in the rack.
- Go down the bar. Grab it more than the width of the shoulder and hanging yourself. Now extend your body as you sleep. This is your starting position.
- Now, bend your elbow and pull your body upward until your chest does not touch the bar.
- Wait for a few seconds, and return into the starting position. Do this steps repeat.
Do 4 to 5 sets and 15 reps of each set.
- Do not use your legs for this exercise.
- Choose a good place to set the bar.
Best back workout with dumbbells
5. One-arm dumbbell row:
This is free weight exercise. You not need any machine for this exercise. Also, if you have dumbbells then you can do this exercise at your home. In comparison of other back exercise, this is best for men.
With this exercise, you will build the best V-shape back muscle.. It is effective for tricep and chest also. One arm dumbbells row is the most effect on latissimus dorsi muscle. Almost all professional bodybuilders use this exercise for improving their back in V-shape.
Start this exercise:
- Firstly, take a flat bench and one dumbbell for starting the exercise.
- Bending your right leg from the knee. After put your knee on one ending side of a flat bench. Now bend your torso to the waist. Make sure your upper body is parallel to the floor.
- Now, grab dumbells in your left hand. Your hand and torso must be in the same line.
- Keep your hands close to your side. Pull that hand who have holding the dumbell, until, it come to close your core.
- Only use your elbow and shoulder. Wait for 1 to 2 seconds and come back into your starting position.
- Repeat these steps.
Do 4 sets and each sets including 10 to 15 reps.
- Don’t bend your lower back during exercise. It can cause back injuries.
- Use your elbow and back for pull the dumbell.
- Do the same reps with both hands.
- Do not use heavyweight, which is unable to handle for you. It can’t give you many benefits.
- Slowly follow all steps, it will increase chances for build good back muscles.
6. Bent-over barbell row:
This is another free weight exercise, where you do not need any machine. This is best to exercise to increase the strength and size of your back. It also helps in building the core in shape. Especially, this is best back exercise for men.
It can work you for loose weight from your belly and core. That will help you with looking like a model or celebrity. So, bent-over barbell row is the best workout for including into your back workout. Here are the instructions that how you can do this exercise.
The technique for start:
- Grab one bar and set weight as per your strength on both sides. Now stand straight and make sure that your palms are wider than the width of the shoulder.
- Now, bend your knee. After bending your waist a bit and bring your torso forward until it comes to parallel the floor. This is your starting position.
- Now, push the bar upward with the help of your elbow and make sure that, your hands are close to the body or core.
- Now, wait for a few seconds and come back in your starting position slowly.
- Repeat these steps.
Do 4 sets. Per sets including 10 to 15 reps.
- Do not use heavyweight, it can cause back injuries.
- Must wear a back safety belt, which prevents you from injuries. It is easily available in the market.
- If you feel much load on your back, then leave the exercise or barbell.
- During the exercise, do not give more stretch to your back.
- Always do 2 to 3 reps less, than your capacity.
- Before this exercise, must do some warm-up to your back muscles.
- Keep in mind that, this exercise, is not for kids and for that people who have a back injury.
Some related exercises, which you can use:
- Reverse grip bent over row – same as the bent-over barbell row, one thing to change and that is the grip of your palms. Need to grip inward of your body and Palms facing outside of the body.
- T-bar row – In this exercise, you need a T-bar row machine.
- Smith machine bent-over row – Here need machine too.
Many people are go in the gym but they workout only for building bicep or six-pack abs. They don’t have any idea that another part of body is very important as much as bicep and six-pack abs. Mostly, people avoid back workout because they think it is worthless exercise.
Back workout is good to show your body in shape. Especially, back exercise for men is very important because back muscles of men is big than women. So the back exercises give a good shape to the body of men.
And with help of this article you can choose best exercise for you and add it in your workout plan. If you do hard workout then it is sure that you will get good results and your body will achieve V-shape.